Old Dominion University has three (3) small crafts available for OEAS research and educational trips.
23 ft Parker (R/V Riptide)
16ft Carolina Skiff
14ft Jon Boat
Small Boat Request Form
R/V Riptide (23 ft)
Capacity: 6 People + Operator
Engine: 225hp (2stroke) Mercury Outboard
Basic Electronics: VHF Radio and 12volt Inverter, Mag. Compass, Furuno 1621 Mark2 Radar, 998C SI Combo (Chart Plotter, Depth Sounder, Sidescan Sonar)
J-Frame W/12volt Capstan, small Fantail for work place
Portable Toilet: To be emptied upon return
Capabilities: Research & Class Room Projects; including compact CTDs, small Plankton Tows and Benthic Grabs
Area of Operations: Rivers & Harbors; Chesapeake Bay, Atlantic Ocean weather depending
Daily Rate:$225 per day + fuel at pump price
Must hold 6 pack OUPV license or be approved by the department to operate vessel.
END OF VOYAGE RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Secure boat at dock or on trailer.
2. Tilt outboard motor (up-position.
3. Turn all electronic equipment OFF.
4. Leave both (2) bilge pump switchs in the AUTO position.
5. Cut battery switch to the OFF position.
6. Empty portable toilet & flush out with fresh water.
7. Remove all trash and coil anchor & dock lines.
8. Remover all gear from the boat unless project is continued next day.
9. Report any repairs, operational problems or boat deficiencies to Marine Support Facilities Staff.
10. Return the boat key and any portable radios, etc to the MSF staff.
Engine: 25hp (4 stroke) Yamaha Outboard
Capabilities:Small Research & Class Room Projects.
Area of Operations: Restricted to Rivers & Harbors.
Daily Rate: $200 per day
14ft Aluminum Hull
Engine: 12V Trolling Motor; Optional 9.9 hp Evinrude (2stoke) Outboard upon request.
Capacity: 3 People
Area of Operations: Restricted to Lakes & Creeks
For research for department use only.
For general questions and information regarding requirements to become a small boat authorized operator contact:
Curtis Barnes: 757-277-3882
Small Boat Request form